Increase RAM on nutanix ce

source link

"

I setup nutanix community edition today in my homelab, and I was interested in looking at how to change both CVM vCPU and vRAM count.  By default my CVM was running 4vcpu and 12GB of RAM, and I wanted to change this to 8vcpu and 15GB RAM (my CE whitebox is running a 8 core Atom CPU and 16GB RAM)
KVM is very new to me, so for my own documentation sake here are the steps I used.
SSH onto the KVM hypervisor using your favorite SSH client, in my case KVM was running on IP address 192.168.55.4, whilst the CVM was using 192.168.55.3
Logon using default nutanix KVM credentials of
Username: root
Password: nutanix/4u
First run virsh list to get the name of your Nutanix CVM, in my case it is NTNX-72c234e3-A-CVM
virsh list
Next, run virsh dominfo NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM to confirm number of CPU’s and RAM
To change the amount of RAM, in my case I increased from 12GB to 15GB, run the following commands and substitute the approriate CVM name
#Shutdown CVM
virsh shutdown NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM
#Set vRAM (There should be two  – -dashes before config)
virsh setmaxmem NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM 15G – -config
virsh setmem NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM 15G – -config
#start VM again
virsh start NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM
To change the amount of CPU’s, edit the virsh XML file.
#edit virsh xml
virsh edit NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM
cpu change
This will open the VM XML file using vi editor, use the following commands to edit the file (I always forget how to edit in vi, so I will show the steps here for my own sake)
  1. Press “i” to enter insert mode
  2. Use the arrow keys to move to the following line 4
  3. Change the 4 to whatever you want, in my case I did 8
  4. Press “esc” to exit insert mode
  5. Type “:wq” to write out and save the file
#Shutdown the Nutanix CVM
virsh shutdown NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM
#Start the Nutanix CVM again
virsh start NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM
Run virsh dominfo again to confirm the changes were successful
virsh dominfo NTNX-72c243e3-A-CVM
virsh dom info
In most cases with Nutanix CE, the defaults are 99% OK for most people.  So test to see if it’s really required to increase or decrease CVM resources according to required workload and hardware specifications.  In my case I saw no difference so I set the defaults back

"

No comments: