The safe way to change your cache location
- Connect your phone to your computer, and connect to ActiveSync.
- Open the ActiveSync window, then click the Explore Device button.
- Navigate to \Application Data\Opera 9.5.
- Find the opera.ini file (If you don't have file extensions enabled, it should just show as "opera".)
- Copy the file to your desktop.
- Open the file in a text editor, such as Notepad. Immediately do a File>Save as and rename the file to something other than opera.ini. This is your backup, just in case.
- Now open the original opera.ini file. Scroll down to the [User Prefs] section and insert the following line: Cache Directory4=\Storage Card\operacache\. (Note: "operacache" can be renamed to anything you want.) Save and close the file.
- Copy the new file back to your device, into the same \Application Data\Opera 9.5.
The quick and dirty way
You can, if you want, do all this directly from your device. But we'll be doing so without making any backups, so be forewarned.
- Using your favorite file explorer (Note: the stock Windows Mobile file explorer won't work here; I like Resco File Explorer), navigate to the \Application Data\Opera 9.5 folder.
- Click on the "opera" file. When it asks which program you want to open the file, choose "Notes."
- Scroll down to the [User Prefs] section and insert the following line: Cache Directory4=\Storage Card\operacache\. (Again, "operacache" can be renamed to anything you want.)
- Click "OK" and you're done.
Here's a quick video of this procedure.
That's it. All the files collected by the browser will now take up room on your storage card, and not directly on your device.